Saturday, July 18, 2009

Hip-Pop/Lets Hear it for the Boys!

BOYS! Hooray. Boys that sing and dance…double hooray. My love of boys that dance started pretty late in life. I didn’t really get it. I slept on most of the boy bands…New Kids On the Block, Backstreet Boys, B2K. I just wasn’t really into it. Not even Nsyncs first album. But around the time that Nsyncs “No Strings Attached” album came out something happened and a light bulb went off. And his name was Justin Timberlake.

And after that light was ignited, on came a love affair so fierce in nature, it forced me to spend a lot of time and a lot of money pursuing my dream of figuring out everything there was to know about this man, to pave the way for our future marriage and life together. Needless to say that dream never came true and this is about as close to JT as I ever got.




I know right? Fatone…I’m a fan for 10 plus years and all I get is Joey Fatone. But alas, this did spark my interest in boys that sing and dance and why I love them.

Lets begin. Top three Princes of Pop for me right now are:
1. Chris Brown
2. Omarion
3. Justin Timberlake

Now I’m sure this needs no saying that Michael Jackson is the best male dancer the world has ever seen. And everyone of these guys, plus more have sited him as being a major influence in their styles of dance and music. So I just wanted to get that out of the way. We all know they bite his style and its one of the reasons we love them so much.

So Chris Brown as of late is not anyone’s favorite pop star. He is effin up big time. But that freaking guy is one of the best all around dancers I have ever seen take the stage and sing a song along with it. I have seen him pop, break, krump, jerk, shablam, vogue, tut, tap, jazz and just about everything else you can think of. He does it ALL. His versatility in many styles of dance along with perfect execution, swagger, and his cute ass smile puts him as my number one. He stepped on the scene when he was only 16 and hasn’t stopped since. Well now he has…but you get what I meant. Video is “Gimmie That”. Note the awesome choreography, and the Chris solo freestyles, and the Chris mini Krump sessions. All GOOD!



Omarion was in the boy band B2K. I never really liked them. A few songs maybe, and when watching the videos I always watched Omarion. That guy was talented. I think the comedian Kat Williams has a bit about meeting Omarion and how he was always dancing.(Note: if you watch the comedy bit there is STRONG LANGUAGE. It ain't for the kids ya'll.) And its pretty obvious this kid has got a lot of energy. In watching some of his live performances singing is pretty much an afterthought. He basically lip syncs to the backing track, kind of sings the chorus and dances his ass off. He also loves to dance with awesome girls that can dance. Here is one of my favorite songs to move too and videos to watch. “Touch”. The lovely female lead is video is the very talented Danielle Polanco. More on her another time. Enjoy!



Justin Justin Justin. I can’t really say that much because I wouldn’t ever stop typing. Just know that I freakin love this guy, and him doing choreography by the amazing Marty Kudelka, basically means non stop awesome party. Martys choreography doesn’t pack a lot of punch. Its cool, smooth, lyrical and super fly. It’s the hip hop that Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly would want to do. The video is “My Love”. And GAAAAAAAAAH its GOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!Sorry about the semi bad quality. Its hard to embed a youtube video these days. Lets hear it for me not being sued yet!



Well that wraps in up for my favorite pop/dance artists. More dance mayhem to come! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment