Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Chicago Jukin,Memphis Jukin, Slow Jukin oh my!

So the name of this blog is The Urban Dance Craze. And I'm totally into a freestyle routine, and the old classics of Pop and Lock, BBoying and old skool flavas. But right now...I'm really loving the new dances. The ones that just seem like they popped out of no where and then all of a sudden turn into the new dance phenomena. I'm talking about the Krumping, Hyphy Dancing, Jerkin, Turfin...and so many more.

So I'm watching So You Think You Can Dance Season 5 and yes I know I'm a little late. But I have to bootleg my television off of the internet so it takes me a while ok. Don't judge. But I'm watching it and a guy goes to audition and says that he does Memphis Jukin. Now I have no idea what this is and am curious to see it. The audition happens, judges love it...I love it. It involves this very interesting footwork, balancing on your toes, and popping. A great combo! So I take it to youtube to school me in the ways of all things Juke...and boy was I surprised. And not necessarily in a good way. Here is an example of the dancing that I saw on SYTYCD...its classic Memphis Jukin.



Its a long video...but you get the point. Pretty cool right!! I was very impressed. Then I realized that that really fast dancing style Footworking from Chicago was a form of Jukin too. I'm not 100% on that fact. I still can't really figure it out. But THEN I went to my ole friend urbandictionary.com to get a definition of Jukin and I was shocked and awed. The first definition was too graphic for this family show blog...so I'll go with the second.

JUKIN'
poppin or gridin on the dance floor.


Now that was NOT what I saw on SYTYCD. But upon further youtube searching I found that there was something called Slow Jukin. And it was DIRTY!!! I had always seen people dance this way in the clubs....or in a couple of Ciara videos. But I had no idea that it had a name or that so many girls and boys have no problem showing their midriff and dancing provocatively and then posting it on the internet. Here is a clip...one of the tamer clips. Ya'll nasty!



I know. You feel weird right? Yeah I did too. Now I guess thats mostly hip rolling but you can do things on the floor and against the wall or with a partner. You can also do it to faster songs...but to me that style just looks like Stripper Dancing.

I am always surprised by dance and what new and inventive things people can do with their bodies. This little journey into the world of Juking was exciting although I know I've only scratched the surface. Who knows...maybe I'll post a vid of me Slow Jukin on this very blog. HA.....nope.

3 comments:

  1. That first clip is awesome. What exactly is the Jookin part tho? Is it the footwork?

    The second clip makes me feel...inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Pants. I think its the thing with the feet. Stuff on the toes, turning...intense footwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JUKiN is DA SHiT !

    ReplyDelete